Located about halfway between New York City and Buffalo along the NY Central corridor, for many years, St. Johnsville was an important stop for trains. In 1867 a roundhouse (used to service and store locomotives) opened. A November, 1881 newspaper article noted the Central was storing 12 new freight locomotives in the St. Johnsville roundhouse. The roundhouse was razed in 1899 when the overhead rail crossing was built. In 1875, a 1,000-foot-long coal trestle, 26½ feet high containing 347,000 feet of timber and costing $32,000 to build was completed. Anywhere from 250 to 500 tons of coal was consumed daily there in the 1870s and 40 men were employed. A new trestle replaced the old one about 1900. In 1930, the trestle was closed and nine men lost their jobs.