Village of St. Johnsville DPW
Department of Public Works
Forms and Provided Services
Weekly Garbage & Recycling Pickup
- Please place your garbage at the curb on Sunday evenings after 6:00PM.
- Large items such as furniture, appliances, or other rubbish not placed or unable to be placed in garbage bags will not be taken with regular garbage. You will either need to call Weaver Sanitation to arrange a pickup, wait for a Village Trash Day, or rent the Village dump truck.
- If you discover that your garbage was not taken, please call Weaver Sanitation at 518-993-3163 to find out why and remedy the issue.
- Please place your recycleables at the curb on Wednesdays evenings after 6:00PM.
- Please break down or bundle all boxes into as few units as possible.
- Bottles and cans can either be placed in an open recycling container or in clear plastic bags. They do not need to be separated by type.
Yard Debris Pickup
- In the event that a pickup does not occur on Monday (due to holidays, unforseen circumstances, matters of pressing importance, etc.), pickup will be at the soonest possible day after that.
- Branches must be bundled and no longer than 4 feet in length and weigh over 50lbs.
- Grass, leaves, twigs, and garden clippings should be put out at the curb in small piles or in labeled open garbage cans with handles.
- Labeling your cans for yard debris pickup will help the DPW know you have debris as Mondays are also for regular garbage pickup.
- Please do not put your yard debris in the street as this can cause major issues with our storm drains being plugged in the event of rain.
- If you have an abundance of yard debris, you can request to use the dump truck by calling either the DPW or the Village Office at 518-568-2221.
Cemetery Maintenance & Rules
- The Cemetery will be open from April 1st to November 1st. Visitors will not be permitted to enter the cemetery outside of these months. Please make sure that any personal flowerpots, vases, etc. are removed from any plots or graves prior to November 1st, otherwise it will be removed by cemetery personnel.
- No motor vehicles with the exception of cars and trucks are allowed on cemetery property.
- All dogs must be leashed and must be cleaned up after.
- Planting of shrubs and trees is prohibited. Any tree or shrub that becomes detrimental to adjacent lots, drives, or walks, or general cemetery upkeep shall be removed.
- Planting on graves is NOT permitted. Flowerpots, urns, vases, etc. shall be placed next to the monument or grave markers. Use of glass jars is not allowed. Cemetery personnel reserves the right to remove any plantings that violate the rules.
- As soon as flowers, wreaths, emblems, etc. become unsightly or faded, they will be removed by cemetery personnel and no responsibility for their protection or maintenance will be assumed.
- Fastening of plants or flowers with wire material or metal fasteners is prohibited and shall be removed.
- If you have any questions regarding the buying of cemetery plots, funerals, grave sites, etc., please visit the Village Office page or call the office at 518-568-2221.
- Having your pool filled by the DPW will save you a lot of money on your water and sewer bill as the water used will not run through your household meter.
- Filling your pool using your own household hose will show up as usage on your water bill and since the meter cannot differentiate between water and sewer, you will be charged at both rates. And because pools require thousands of gallons of water, the amount to fill your pool even once can add hundreds of dollars onto your water bill.
- When the DPW fills your pool, you will only be charged service fees per hour for the DPW crew workers and the current rate of water used per cubic foot. The service fee is $22.50 per man hour and the water rate is $0.05 per cubic foot with the water usage calculated at 7.481 gallons per cubic foot.
- Once your pool has been filled, you will receive a bill in the mail and you can pay it with cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card with a 1% fee.
- If would like to have your pool filled by the DPW, please call 518-568-2225 to set up an appointment.